How To Play Keno
Keno is a type of lottery game, and is popular all over the world. It is easily one of the oldest casino games, but has gained renewed momentum in recent years because of its availability at online casino sites. Top reasons why Keno is so popular include:
- Ease of learning and playing the game
- Availability of the game
- Massive jackpots
- Slower-paced than other casino games, giving you time to make better decisions
Keno also has several variations that make it entertaining to play, and is a feature in all the top casinos. Keno is popular with players, and is also a profitable business for casinos and game operators. If you’re just exploring Keno, this post on how to play Keno should give you a head start. But first, a crash course on the history of Keno.
History of Keno
Keno is a popular modern game, but it traces its origins to the ancient Chinese more than 2,000 years ago. Back then, Keno was known as báigē piào, which refers to the tickets in betting involving messenger pigeons.
Legend has it that Keno played a significant role in raising funds for building the Great Wall of China. A famous Chinese war general during the Han dynasty wanted to protect his lands from the barbarians invading. The general needed cash to fund the battles, his subjects were poor and couldn’t pay taxes.
Therefore, the war general created a game with 120 characters and chose random characters to make a winning combination. When the general picked a winning combination, the carrier pigeons carried the number to the players across the lands. The game was an instant hit all over China and generated a lot of money for the battles. It helped the general win the battles and kept the Han dynasty safe.
Keno remained a popular game among the Chinese through the ages, and gradually they brought the game to North America during the 1850s with the introduction of the transcontinental railroad.
Interestingly, Keno owes its name to the Latin and French terms “quini” or “quine,” which relates to winning five numbers. So despite its origins, the term keno has no connections to its Chinese roots.
Different types of Keno Games
Historically, Keno was a simple game with an ambitious goal, and the modern game lives up to it in terms of variation and popularity. In online casinos, there are several types and variations of keno, including:
- Single Game: A classic Keno game is the single card variation, where you use a single card and try picking a selection of winning numbers. Single card keno is the easiest to play and is also the oldest variation. The main expense is the ticket cost, which varies between providers.
- Multi-card: As the name implies, you play multi-card keno with several cards, increasing your chances of winning. Most top online casinos allow you to play with more than 20 cards, making every Keno game exciting.
- Power Keno: This game type is similar to the single card version, but the goal in this game is to hit the 20th number. If you do, the winning amount is quadrupled thanks to a 4x multiplier.
- Progressive Jackpots: Like other casino games, online Keno can have progressive jackpot prizes. In most casinos, keno jackpots are of the progressive category, meaning the amount keeps growing as more players continue to place wagers. These prize amounts often reach thousands of dollars, ensuring players are enticed to win.
- Mobile Keno: Several apps are now available with dedicated apps for mobile devices, making them more accessible for players.
- Keno slots: This Keno variation works like traditional slot games, and there are several advantages – faster game pace, ability to choose more numbers, and increased chances of hitting the jackpots.
Other Keno Variations
- Sweet Sixteen
- Big Bang
- Penny Arcade Keno
- No-Lose 17 Spot Special
How to play the game – the rules
Playing Keno is exceptionally effortless, which is one reason behind its popularity. But if you’re not sure, here’s how to play Keno. Note: These are the basic Keno rules for regular/classic games, but you can also refer to them for playing other variations.
- Sign up on a credible site: The first step to playing Keno is to join a trustworthy casino with a license and security. In addition to credible casinos, dedicated keno sites are also available, so check them out before signing up.
- Pick your numbers: A typical Keno game has 80 numbers/options, and you can choose between 2 and 10, 2 and 15, or 20 numbers. This is the only important rule that you need to remember.
- Set your wagers: The next step is to input/wager your wager amounts in the Keno station. The total price box or the stake button is usually at the right of the bet slip, and they can also be at the bottom in some cases. It’s best to start the bets at $1, so you can stretch your game.
- Play a round of keno: Click the ‘draw’ or ‘play’ button to play a round of keno. The random number generator selects 20 numbers in each round of keno represented by balls, similar to bingo games.
- Check your ticket results: After the RNG generates the 20 numbers in the Keno round, check your tickets/cards to see if you hit any of the winning numbers. If any of the winning numbers belong to your ticket, you can pocket your win.
Tips on how to win Keno Games
Keno is a simple and interesting game that can get quickly addictive. The jackpots in Keno are also great, so a few handy tips can make all the difference. Players can use various tips and form their own strategy for playing:
- Pick a trustworthy site to play Keno: This is great for the game’s quality and can mean everything when you want to withdraw your winnings.
- Practice Keno for free: Most Keno sites offer free games, which is a fantastic way to hone your skills before you put down real money.
- Keep an eye out for payouts: Every Keno site and the app has different payouts and house edges. So look out for Keno games with high payouts and lower house edges. You can also take advantage of the casino Keno bonus and free rewards to increase your earning potential.
- Set a budget: Always set a budget when playing an exciting lottery game like Keno. This way, you don’t go overboard, and practice responsible gaming.