Guide to Playing Baccarat – Online, and Offline
Baccarat is, without a doubt, one of the oldest card games played in casinos, both online and offline. This classic card game traces its origin in the 15th century, and is still popular with card players worldwide.
Online or offline Baccarat is a card game of comparison between two hands: banker and player. Each round of the Baccarat game is played with 3 possible outcomes – a tie, player, and banker. However, playing Baccarat successfully requires more than knowing what the outcomes are. Here’s how to play this card game and try to win.
Before we get into the gameplay, let’s check out how the cards and points in this card game work, and some important rules. Note: The gameplay and rules are the same whether the table game is played offline or online.
Rules of Baccarat
- Eight 52-card decks are the standard card used to play Baccarat, but sometimes a six-deck card is also used.
- 9 is the highest score in Baccarat, and no value of either hand can be greater than it.
- Aces in the deck are worth one point.
- Tens and picture cards in the deck have zero points.
- The rest of the numbered cards from 2 to 9 in the deck are worth their face values.
- Every player in baccarat can bet on either the player or the banker’s hand.
- Depending on the version, a Baccarat table is for 7 to 14 players, along with a dealer’s area, and each player gets a betting area.
- Every player gets a player, banker, and tie bet boxes on the table.
- The dealer deals and shuffles the cards, and is positioned at the center of the table facing the players
- A 5% dealer commission is a requirement in baccarat on every winning hand
- When the points during a Baccarat game become double-digit, the second digit becomes the hand’s value, and the first digit will no longer count. So every time you score a double-digit, you need to drop the first digit and count the second one as your score.
How to play Baccarat Games
Step 1 – Set a game plan
Baccarat is a popular and glamorized game for a reason. You can easily get lost financially and mentally, especially if you’re playing online, as you have unlimited access to online casinos night or day. So setting a budget to play online Baccarat is a smart move. For online games, make it a point to walk away as soon as you double your money, with the aim to cash out some winnings.
If you’re playing Baccarat at a local brick-and-mortar casino, stick to playing with cash and don’t rely on credit. Using cash as the payment will help you stick to your budget and play smart.
Step 2 – Place your bets
Every player in a Baccarat game must place the bets before the dealer serves cards from the deck. And here you can bet on three available options:
Betting on a player’s hand is usually a good move, so you get paid 1 to 1, which is even money when you win this bet. For instance, if you bet $5 and win the bet, you get $5. However, there is a 5% dealer’s commission for every winning hand. The house edge on a player’s bet is 1.24%, and the odds of winning are usually around 44.62%.
Betting on the banker’s hand is also a good move, since you get even money if you win the bet, minus the dealer’s commission of 5%. The house edge for a banker’s hand in a Baccarat game is 1.06%, and your odds of winning are 45.86%.
The odds of winning a tie bet are lower at 9.52%, which means the house edge is higher than the other two bets at 14.36%. However, every player can also bet on a tie without any restrictions.
Step 3 – Dealing the cards
Most of the work is done by the dealer at this stage. The first card goes to the player’s box and the next to the banker’s box, and this is repeated until each player has two cards in their box.
Calculating a win
With the first two cards, if either the player’s or the banker’s hand adds 8 or 9, it results in a natural win. This game of Baccarat is over, and the bets placed are paid.
When a third card is drawn in baccarat
If the player’s or the banker’s hand does not add up to 8 or 9 points, a dealer draws the third card. Nevertheless, the player’s hand always gets the first priority, so any point total from 0 to 5 requires drawing a third card for the player. Third card rules for banker and player’s hand are different, which you can check out here.
Winning hand is decided
After the two or three cards are dealt, depending on the game, the player or banker’s hand that totals 9 or close to it wins that game. However, if there is a tie, neither the banker nor the players win, in which case the dealer pays out the money after collecting all the bets.
Online Baccarat Casinos
Online Baccarat is popular with players, and most top online casinos have it in their inventory. Top software studios, such as Evolution Gaming and RTG, use of state-of-the-art technology to make online baccarat as realistic as possible.
In addition, online casinos with these software providers have a multi-camera setup that adds cinematic quality to the games. There are also excellent RNG virtual card titles to enjoy. With the best online casinos, several versions of live baccarat are also available, including speed baccarat, control squeeze baccarat, lightning baccarat, and dual baccarat. Some top casinos to play live online baccarat are Ignition Casino, and Woo.